What Is an Educational Credential Assessment Report and …

June 18th, 2019 by Syed Nizami

An Educational Credential Assessment, or an ECA report, is required by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to assess one’s international academic credentials obtained from outside of Canada. The main purpose of an ECA report is to verify how much a foreign educational credential is worth by Canadian education standards. ECA reports are only valid […]


Medical Marijuana: Limits to Consumption in Unionized W …

June 14th, 2019 by Marty Rabinovitch and Elias Rabinovitch

A recent labour arbitration decision from Saskatchewan has suggested what the boundaries around workplace consumption of medical marijuana might be. In Kindersley (Town) v Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 2740, 2018 CanLII 35597 (SK LA), an employee was dismissed for vaping medical marijuana while operating the employer’s vehicle. The employee had previously disclosed to […]


Buying or Selling a Resale Home? What You Need to Know …

June 5th, 2019 by Robert Adourian and Steven Huryn

You have recently closed the deal on what you thought was your perfect dream home. After moving in you discover that the house is in need of many more significant repairs than you expected. Had you known about some of the issues, you would not have offered the price that you did, or perhaps you […]


My Uber was involved in a collision and I was injured …

May 31st, 2019 by Marc Spivak

Over the years, ride-hailing services have become increasingly popular and the demand appears to be increasing. In densely populated cities like Toronto and in the GTA, owning a car can be prohibitively expensive, making the ride-sharing concept a great convenience.  Toronto’s licensing department has issued almost 70,000 private transportation company licenses to drivers for ride-hailing […]


My estranged wife is denying me access to our baby. She …

May 28th, 2019 by John Schuman

Ontario Family Court judges generally have a very dim impression of parents, mothers or fathers, who deny their children the opportunity to have a relationship with both parents.  Section 16(10) of the Divorce Act requires that judges give children of married parents the maximum possible contact with each parent that is consistent with the child’s […]


Bill 66: Changes to the Employment Standards and Labour …

May 24th, 2019 by Marty Rabinovitch and Elias Rabinovitch

Bill 66, which received royal assent on April 3rd, 2019, changes the Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA) and the Labour Relations Act (LRA). Workplaces that are covered by the ESA should take note that: Posting requirements are no more: Employers are no longer required to display a poster in the workplace delineating the ESA’s applicable […]


I’ve been accepted to a Canadian university and have …

May 22nd, 2019 by Maya Krishnaratne

Foreign nationals need authorization from the Canadian government to work. For international students, work experience can help a great deal in being exposed to the Canadian job market, earning extra income and providing the advantage of being able to adapt to workplace language and culture. Generally, foreign nationals with a study permit (i.e. international students) […]


My ex-spouse refuses to amend the schedule and allow me …

May 17th, 2019 by John Schuman

Taking the children away on a vacation is a frequent source of conflict after separation, and the subject of many Family Court motions. The non-travelling parent may be jealous or fear that the trip could give the travelling parent the advantage of having a better relationship with a child. Judges, on the other hand, aren’t […]


Bill C-86: What it Means for Your CBCA Corporation

May 9th, 2019 by Elisabeth Colson and Elias Rabinovitch

Bill C-86 institutes a long list of amendments to several Federal statutes, including the Canada Business Corporations Act (“CBCA”), and officially comes into force on June 13th, 2019.  What does this mean for your corporation? Prior to these amendments, the CBCA required  only federally-registered corporations to maintain a general securities register under s. 50(1).  As […]

Flag Counter