Toronto Fertility Law Lawyers
We are a fertility law practice group based in Toronto, Ontario specializing in all aspects of reproductive technology law. This area of law is regulated in Canada by the Federal Assisted Human Reproduction Act (the “Federal Act”). It is also subject to Provincial legislation such as the Children’s Law Reform Act, as amended (“CLRA”), in Ontario.
This includes surrogacy agreements, sperm and egg donor agreements and the establishment of legal parentage. It is a very specific and rewarding area of law which is not widely known in Canada, primarily because of a widespread belief that surrogacy and sperm/egg donation is illegal here. It is not, but there are legal restrictions on how this form of family building can proceed.
As a result of these restrictions, individuals and couples looking to start or build their families through the use of surrogates or sperm or egg donors need legal advice that is tailored to their family needs and that is alert to the dynamic legislative and regulatory framework surrounding assisted reproductive technology and third-party reproduction in Canada.
Planning for and building your family is an important milestone in your life. Our experienced fertility law lawyers have assisted many intended parents, surrogates and donors over the years with this amazing journey. As this part of the process can be expensive, we offer very competitive legal rates while maintaining a level of client service and expertise that is second to none.
The possibility of building a family this way can make our clients anxious and overwhelmed. As a parent of three children born through surrogacy our fertility law Lead, Marc Kemerer well understands this. He has the legal and practical knowledge to put you at ease and on the road to a family.
If you would like to know more about fertility law in Canada or are ready to begin building your family, we would be delighted to meet with you for a no-obligation no-fee consultation to answer any and all questions you may have.
Our Fertility Law Services
We are a fertility law practice group based in Toronto, Ontario. Our legal team offers years of experience with very competitive pricing in the following areas:
- Surrogacy Agreements – the contract between a surrogate and the Intended Parent(s).
- Egg Donor Agreements – Egg donations are critical to many individuals or couples, gay and straight, who are not able to produce children in the “traditional” way. They have important legal considerations, particularly around the area of future parental responsibility and contact, if any, between the child and the egg donor. You can learn more about egg donation in Canada here.
- Sperm Donor Agreements – Similarly sperm donations are necessary for many Intended Parents and have significant implications for those parents and the child(ren). You can learn more about sperm donation in Canada here.
- Embryo Donation Agreements – Embryo donations are also legal in Canada but individuals who are in possession of embryos, such as those who have completed their family building, cannot profit from this. Such parents or recipients are strongly encouraged to seek legal advice and enter into an embryo donation agreement prior to donating any reproductive materials.
- Registration of Birth/Declarations of Parentage – This is the primary method of recognizing legal parentage in this area of law in Canada, though its availability is subject to which jurisdiction you live in. You can learn more about declarations of parentage by referring to our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
- Second-Parent Adoptions – This is one of the ways in which an intended parent can be recognized as the legal parent of a child created through third-party reproduction. You can learn more about second-parent adoptions by referring to our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
- General Advice and Advocacy – When you use the services of an experienced fertility law lawyer, you are gaining a skilled professional who can help guide you through the entire family building process. A lawyer who will advocate for your interests in a collaborative but assertive manner. With the assistance of your experienced fertility law lawyer, you can avoid unnecessary obstacles and headaches from pre-conception to parenthood. We can work with you every step of the way and are excited to help you plan your family!
For more information about our comprehensive fertility law services, please feel free to consult our contact page.
We are committed to helping people grow their families without the entire process being unaffordable. Our fertility law services are the most competitive in the industry, which enables you to stretch your dollars further without sacrificing experience and quality. Contact us today for a no-fee no-obligation consultation and let’s get started on your family building!
More information on fertility law and family building: