Toronto Fertility Law Lawyers
We are a fertility law practice group based in Toronto, Ontario specializing in surrogacies, reproductive donors and legal parentage. Fertility law lawyers are different than other legal practitioners and this niche specialization is an area of law not widely practiced in Canada. Individuals and couples looking to start or build their families through the use of surrogates or donors need tailored legal advice that best suits their needs but is also alert to the dynamic legislative and regulatory framework surrounding assisted reproductive technology and third-party reproduction in Canada.
Planning for and building your family is an important milestone in your life. Our experienced fertility law lawyers can help you throughout the entire process as we have with several intended parents, surrogates and donors over the years. As part of our commitment to client service, we offer very competitive legal rates and flexible pricing options. We are excited to be a part of your road to parenthood!
As part of your road to parenthood, we understand that you naturally may be feeling excited, anxious and possibly a bit overwhelmed. If you would like to know more about fertility law in Canada or are ready to begin building your family, we would be delighted to meet with you for a no-obligation consultation to answer any and all questions you may have.
Some Reasons Why You Should Use a Fertility Law Lawyer
Deciding to start a family or add to your family is an exciting time in your life. It is also a momentous step that involves much planning and preparation. Just as you may plan for buying your first home or your own retirement, it is best to work with an experienced professional who has the skill to help navigate you through the process and tell you what to expect.
Here are the top reasons why you should use a fertility law lawyer:
1. A fertility law lawyer can draft an agreement which is customized for your needs. No two families are identical. Using a standard, “cookie cutter” surrogacy or donor agreement will not reflect your unique situation and as a result may cause unnecessary issues down the road. It is well worth the cost to create an agreement in advance, than to pay lots of fees trying to fix the problem later. Our fertility law practice ensures that you receive your ideal agreement, for a fair and competitive rate which will save you money and headaches in the future. Furthermore, an intended parent or surrogate may have very different expectations or ideas of how the surrogacy or donor process will work. By using an experienced fertility law lawyer, you are working to ensure that you cover every possibility and have your interests clearly defined.
2. Know whether your position is reasonable. If your expectations are not within the range of what is reasonable between the parties, negotiating a surrogacy or donor agreement will be a long and convoluted process. Starting off any potential surrogacy or donor arrangement with an adversarial approach is also more likely to create further difficulties throughout the pregnancy and afterwards by putting a strain on the relationship of the parties. Working with an experienced fertility law lawyer will best prepare you for the negotiating process by emphasizing a collaborative rather than combative approach.
3. Know what to expect from the process. For many individuals, using a surrogate or donor is a completely new experience. This can be intimidating, especially since the law surrounding fertility and third-party reproductions is anything but clear. By working with a fertility law lawyer, you have someone who has not only been through this process several times, but has seen every outcome — what works and what does not. Similarly, your lawyer may raise considerations with you that you may have not considered before. Your fertility law lawyer can provide you with practical legal advice throughout the entire family-planning process.
4. Surrogacy and donors are one thing but being a legal parent is another. Every province has different rules and processes for recognizing legal parentage. The last thing any intended parent wants is to go through the entire family planning process, perhaps on their own or with their partner, only to find that they have no legal right to parent their child. This is a shocking revelation for many intended parents. Without the proper legal advice or know-how, it can also be a hard situation to reconcile. A fertility law lawyer that has worked with you throughout the entire family planning process will not only already know your file, but will have planned for recognizing legal parentage well in advance. Your fertility law lawyer will know which process for recognizing legal parentage is used in each jurisdiction, and can file the appropriate paperwork in the most expedient manner. In many provinces, changing legal parentage requires a court application. A lawyer will also know what evidence will be relevant to changing legal parentage, which ensures your legal parentage is uncontested.
5. Our competitive rates make it an easy decision. Understandably, many are concerned about retaining a lawyer because they are nervous about expensive legal fees. We know and understand that parenthood is in itself an expensive endeavour, but without practical legal advice, you may end up incurring much more in legal fees than you would have had you retained a lawyer beforehand. Not only are there legal considerations throughout the process, but after the child is born as well. We offer flexible pricing options suitable for every person and situation. Lastly, our legal rates are amongst the most competitive in the fertility law industry!
Remember – you do not have to make a decision right away. The best decision you can make for yourself and your future family is one that is well thought-out and informed. If you have any further questions about fertility law in Canada, please feel free to contact a member of our fertility law group. We can provide you with a no-obligation consultation to best understand your needs.