Our insurance defence lawyers work on behalf of leading Canadian and multi-national insurance carriers. The focuses of our insurance practice are in the areas property and casualty and life and disability claims.
Our goal is to achieve a timely resolution of all claims with minimum expense and optimal outcome. We pride ourselves in adapting every aspect of our defence services to our insurance clients’ specific needs, from intake and assignment of claims files, to scheduling, reporting, resolution of claims and billing, including electronic reporting and billing.
We have the breadth and the depth of experience to promise and deliver success. Our lawyers have extensive trial and appellate experience at all levels of courts in Ontario. We have acted in countless trials and appeals as well as mediations and arbitrations at the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, private mediations and arbitrations under the Arbitrations Act, 1991.
We have experience dealing with claims arising in the context of automobile liability policies, homeowners policies, comprehensive general liability policies, excess and umbrella polices, fleet and garage policies and others.
We have handled claims involving a wide variety of insurance issues, including
- bodily injury,
- occupier’s liability,
- products liability,
- fidelity and employee dishonesty,
- statutory accident benefits,
- under-insured, uninsured and unidentified motorists,
- future income loss and future care claims,
- present value determinations,
- income tax gross ups,
- discount rates,
- structured settlements and
- claims of minors and other parties under a disability.
Accident benefits mediations and arbitrations in which we have been involved have dealt with all aspects of accident benefits including
- income replacement benefits (including self- employed claimants and entitlement after age 65),
- non-earner benefits,
- post-two year benefits,
- care giver benefits,
- medical and rehabilitation benefits,
- attendant care benefits,
- housekeeping and home maintenance expenses,
- death and funeral expenses,
- catastrophic designations and
- procedural issues dealing with termination of benefits as well as
- bad faith and special award claims.
- Appeals at the Financial Services Commission, the Divisional Court and the Court of Appeal
- Private arbitrations with respect to priority disputes and loss transfers.
We are also experienced with related actions dealing with collateral benefits, including disability claims (both private disability insurance (LTD) or CPP disability), as well as related actions before the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT), and the CPP Appeals Tribunal. Our insurance defence team includes junior lawyers, students and licensed paralegals who are well equipped to handle smaller claims cost effectively.
We deal extensively with a wide variety of experts, including actuaries, economists, forensic accountants, doctors and other health care providers, engineers and investigators.
We pride ourselves on assisting our insurance clients to provide the best possible defence to their policyholders who have been named as defendants in lawsuits. We know that for an insured person, the litigation process can be a very stressful and confusing process.
We have three locations to serve you:
Toronto law offices are conveniently located in the Lawrence and Don Mills area at 95 Barber Greene Road, Suite 100;
Whitby offices are located in the heart of downtown Whitby at 209 Dundas Street East, Suite 401;
Barrie offices are located downtown Barrie at 85 Bayfield Street, 3rd Floor.
We have plenty of free parking in all three locations.
For additional information regarding the services available from our insurance defence group, please contact any of our insurance defence lawyers listed on the right.